tangent

for the intents and purposes of this blog, the onset of a tangent will hereby be represented by this...

... because even in the sitting at my desk, "it's been a while... i should probably write something... because if i wait too long people will stop reading my blog... and then they'll never leave comments... and then i'll have absolutely no purpose in life... man, i'm a loser..." phase of writing, i couldn't seem to finish a thought without tangenting into another one.

here goes.

not too long ago i went through the big box in my parents' basement of my childhood disney videos. actually, i stood three feet away from my mom as she, at my request, went through the box of disney videos because seriously, the box is in a very dusty and questionable corner of the basement and while my mother is full of that old pioneer spirit, i am not. i am full of that old pansy spirit. especially when it comes to spiders- be they real or imagined. i know this. my mom knows this.

everyone knows this.

i stood several paces away from my mother and merely offered suggestions on where exactly i thought our old copy of "the three musketeers" was located within the dusty corner box.
for, yes, as you now know i was searching for disney's "the three musketeers". yes, the one from 1993 with charlie sheen and jack bauer and tim curry and that guy who i'm still convinced is val kilmer. or val kilmer's evil twin/doppelganger in any case, you know he take his evilness very seriously because he has an eye patch and he's dressed in black and he speaks in a low, raspy, dripping with evil voice and has dialogue like, "i'm so happy to be pure evil. my top priority right now is to stab you repeatedly. then i'll have a light lunch- i'm thinking sushi- before i burn down an orphanage and kick a 3 legged puppy. then i'll laugh maniacally for about 5 minutes. by the way, i killed your father... and it was good times. good, good times." and most importantly it's the one with chris o'donnell a.k.a. the answer to a maiden's prayers a.k.a. the love of your life... if you're a 12 year old girl who in the space of three months sprouted 6 inches in a height, sprouted a bean in a cup for biology class, but tragically failed to sprout breasts and real boys seem awkward and a foot shorter than you and so apt to be cruel this perspective doesn't necessarily change with age, so you funnel your emotions towards the fictional man. writing in second person gets old, not in a creepy way, more in a "if only i could meet someone like gilbert blythe who would like me for me, and would be all earnest, and who wouldn't quote 'monty python and the holy grail' day after day after day because seriously i get that british humour is a delight but the knights who say 'NI!' part isn't that funny, and who poses no real threat because i'm pretty sure i could beat him at arm wrestling if it ever really came down to it" kind of a way.
and, you know i can't be the only person who went through a "i can't get enough of that half manchild half woman hybrid" phase when i was young because how else do you explain the popularity of jonathan taylor thomas and new kids on the block?
it's not until later that you oh crap. slipped into second person again go through a bad boy stage again fictionally er, for the most part where you truly believe the love of a good woman is all a musician/biker/evil super villain needs. and, by gum, you could be that woman.


anyways, so there was good reason to make my mom rummage for the kids version of a literary classic. see, i've been reading "the man in the iron mask". i've been reading it for months slow but steady because i am seriously the ploddingest reader ever. and i don't know why. i mean, i know how to read. i understand the big words. i'm able to pronunciate and comprehend what i read. so i honestly don't know why everyone in the world is able to get through a book faster than me. it makes me doubt myself and i swear if any of you leave a comment about how you're so fast at reading and how you like to read two or three books at the same time and would i like to know some of your fast reading secrets, i swear i will find you and i will punch you in the nose and secretly wonder if everyone in my world has taken a speed reading coarse in a conspirative effort to make me crazy.

i wouldn't be surprised.

since it takes me so long to read a book, i pretty much have to commit to whatever i'm reading. there's no backing out. because if i give up or get distracted midway through a book, i'll have wasted about a month's worth of mental energy. this is why i refuse to give up on "man in the iron mask". well, i also really like alexandre dumas' books. even though i found out that he totally used to steal his ideas from other people.
but "m.i.t.i.m." is the third book in a series and i've been kind of . i haven't read "the 3 musketeers" in years and i've never read the second musketeers book so i've been extremely hazy on back story. i was hoping that watching the movie, as disneyfied as it was, would serve as a simple, cliffnotey way to help jog my memory but see, though i took the movie home with me, i left my book in salt lake. not that it really matters because for the last two weeks i've been busy with my newest venture. the venture where i sit on my couch every night and tie bows. not taebo which i coincidentally do sit on my couch to do because i feel that if you're not going to exercise, the next most effective thing you can do is watch exercise on tv. i bet thinking about exercising somehow stimulates your metabolism.
like an exercise placebo.

(end tangents)
okay, what was my point?
oh ya... deep down i'm a geek.
and also on the surface i'm a geek.
and in all the middle laye- whatever. i know this. you know this.

everyone knows this.

Comments

Leah said…
I love all the wigs in the 3 Musketeers. Chris O'Donnell especially looks like a pretty little girl in his Shirley Temple wig. It's one of the movies I watch just to mock the hair... and the acting... ok, so basically I just watch it to mock all of it.
Annegirl said…
Oh wow. It was like one of those old-school magazine stories with the inserted mini pictures--only BETTER. I'm so glad my brain isn't the only one that works like that.
Ann-Marie said…
so did you find the movie? if not we probably have it at the library.
Lincoln said…
The best part of this blog...was your 12-year-old picture. He he he. Good times.
john said…
I am a very avid reader, however it takes me awhile to get through books, too. Especially if they are of the 800+ page "classic literature" variety. But that's because I take the time to actually digest what I'm reading, flip to the endnotes, try to comprehend difficult passages, etc. I actually did take a speed reading course (which came in real handy in college) and can breeze through a light paperback, but when I want to enjoy a book I take the time to actually enjoy it and get something out of it, not just flipping through the pages and yelling "next!" like it is some kind of contest. Hey, whether it takes 3 months or 3 days, I think reading is cool. However, dissing on The Holy Grail? For that, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest... WITH... A HERRING!

Ok, you're right, it probably really isn't that funny.
Spliz said…
You know, I'm so fast at reading I like to read two or three books at the same time; and would you like to know some of my fast reading secrets?
Em said…
I feel so out of the loop. Am I the only one that doesn't know why everybody's tying so many freaking bows???
matt said…
can i be your musician/biker/evil super villain?
Em said…
also... every time i saw the tangent symbol i was picturing in my mind the hand signal for tangent that you and millie made up... :)
Anonymous said…
I avoided this whole problem by A) never learning to read real books and B) by tying an onion on my belt. You see, tying onions on belts is what we do in Fresno, I mean Fres-Yes, which is the armpit of California. Not as if california really as an armpit, you know, but it certainly sounds better than the trailer park
Anonymous said…
of California, which we all know is Bakersfield. Now, the hicks came to Bakersfield during the Great Depression because the Dust Bowl destroyed their crops. Crops, by the way, provide people with food and energy, which allows me to play. And tie an onion to my belt, which is the fashion of Fresno, I mean Fres-Yessers. We had that in Bakersfield...
Carolyn said…
These are the thoughts I had while reading this entry. They're not really funny or anything. First, I think MITIM is impossible to get through. I had been trying to get through that book for forever and then I gave up and hence you have the book now. Also, I re-saw the movie the three musketeers on President's day this year. I don't remember it being as lame as it was. AND finally, the boy I am going out with has been arrested. Woo hoo for bad boys.
Anonymous said…
I think I may have read the cover of a book once... didn't take too long.
Ben said…
I am somewhat ashamed it's taken me this long to post. You see, I've been mostly checking blogs to participate in my friend's lyric trivia contest, which by the way, I'm winning. Be proud of me. I also suck at reading, even interesting books, unless they're of the mental popsicle type. Don't even get me started on Charles "Chuck D." Dickens. I've never finished a single one of his books. Also, your roommate says I should come by and visit and I never do. Please don't hate me just 'cause I suck at life.
Nama said…
...

huh? what just happened?

...
Andrew H said…
In the time it took me to read your blog, I also read three books. And a fortune cookie. It said "Be Wise, Cause Being Stupid is Dumb."
Anonymous said…
Ah Lil Brudder! He has the heart of a champion!!!
And I have never read any Dumas books. Classic literature is for... well, people who aren't me. I prefer to read things that require no brainpower whatsoever. Hence why I can read 5 or 6 books at once.
Please don't punch me in the nose.
barnesanova said…
so, i know this post is old, super old, and that's ok. i wanted however to give you a comment from........ TRINIDAD! cool eh? now you've got some carribean comments mon! or, um, wo-mon!

ayrie.