something new #2

i am not built for yoga.

i have a natural turn out. if i "allign" my feet, my knees aren't happy.
and a broken nose. pranayama is impossible.
i'm freakishly long. way too long for the mat.
i don't flex my feet, i point my toes.
i don't want "to be", i want to be better than you.
i don't want to let the movements come. i want my body to do what i tell it to.

those thirteen years of dance have officially turned me into the ultimate anti-yogist. a high arched, highly competitive, body hating, "if it doesn't hurt, then you're not doing it right" anti-yogist.

of course my progressively toned arms, the novelty, and the nap we get to take at the end of class kind of take the edge off.

Comments

Andrew H said…
You mentioned NAPS?? Where do I sign up?
barnesanova said…
how did you break your nose? was it some kind of tragic chocolate smelling incident?

i also am not for yoga, but just because my one experience with yoga featured a teacher-encouraged guy who relaxed a bit too much and farted constantly through the 'quiet' time. how the hell am i supposed to relax when i'm forced to hear and smell captain 'i ate too many organic veggie burgers last night'?
Nama said…
next yoga class, kat, we should totally turn it into competative yoga. we can glare at each other across our mats and lay down smack.

"i'm holding plank longer than you!"

"my heals are touching the group during down-dog!"

"my knees hurt less than yours!"

top that!
Leah said…
"My face is purpler than yours from being in a constant state of upsidedown-ness."