number 500 a.k.a. voodoo...doo

one of the weirder product lines i've had to design packaging for is our "droppings" line. chocolate covered nuts which have been cleverly renamed after various animal fecal matter.
it is upsetting.
mostly because my people were brought up to believe feces should not be cutesied up.
plus the labels are kind of plain so i get bored easy.

see? kind of plain. we put the droppings in a paper bag and no, the funny of that isn't lost on me and then we put the labels on the bag and then people buy them for a reason i've yet to figure out.
it was around elephant droppings time when i started to get a little campy and design labels for my own amusement. first there was this slight variation...


and then there was this...


yes. yes i did find this way more amusing than i should have.
and yes, yes i did print out these ideas and put them on peoples desks.
and yes, in fact they did get sent with the rest of the actual label ideas to our california sales rep who's in charge of the droppings line.
and yes, she thought it was serious.
and yes, she got really enthusiastic about the pink elephant droppings.
and yes, this is my personal hell.

thank you for asking.

but seriously, who wouldn't realize how much of a joke that is?

nobody gets me.

Comments

matt said…
FIRST!(and on this blog, that's saying something.)

i really liked "cow chip cookies" while they were still in seattle. they even came with extra nuts and up to the size "bull chip."
Em said…
This reminds me of Christmas time when people would turn Whoppers boxes into pooping reindeer. Nothing says Merry Christmas like a pooping reindeer.
Maria said…
Just darling. So while I gag at the thought of people wanting to buy animal poo to eat, your second creation is hysterical!
Nama said…
where can i get me some of those?! mamma needs her whiskey!
Carolyn said…
actually i really like the pink elephant droppings too.
Spliz said…
ha! ha! I like it because it's such a cliched movie plot. awesome.
Lincoln said…
You are a marketing genius. Plus...isn't it strangely satisfying to get real accolades for being sort of a smart-ass?
Anonymous said…
I'm surpised the Pink Elephant Droppings didn't have something stronger/ more intoxicating than alcohol in them.
Ben said…
NIIIIIICE! The decision to read this post was probably the best one I'll make all day.
barnesanova said…
i'd like to offer you the opportunity to draw a pink barnesanova with a bottle of tanqueray anytime you so choose. as long as i have a schweet trunk.
Leah said…
Elephants are my favorite animals, but I still wouldn't eat their droppings.
Chester B. said…
I liked it when nut clusters were just named after the animals themselves...you know, like turtles.

What a world....