good deed

after having a family lunch on sunday, everyone gathered in the living room to watch the final session of general conference. everyone that is, except for my grandmother who was hard at work scrubbing the kitchen. i wandered back into the kitchen and offered to do the dishes so that grandma could listen to president packer speak about the grandparents in the church. this is how my conversation with grandma went...
me: hey grandma, why don't you go listen to president packer. i can wash these.
grandma: no, no. i should do it.
me: it's no problem.
g-ma: no.
me: but you can go and listen and i can do the dishes.
g-ma: no. you need to hear the talk.
me: i can hear it from in here.
g-ma: no.
me: (trying to get in front of the sink) here. just let me have the wash cloth...
g-ma: NO! (i grab the wash cloth, but she doesn't let go)
me: grandma, come on. just give me the wash cloth!
g-ma: NO!! (i try and pull the wash cloth away, but she refuses to let go, and starts to shove me out of the way)
me: FOR THE LOVE OLD WOMAN!! let go of the wash cloth and go listen to president packer talk about how great old people are!!!
g-ma: NO! NO! (i start to shove her out of the way of the sink and finally wrench the wash cloth from her hand)
me: ah ha!
g-ma: i've heard it all! you're young!! you're the one who needs to hear these talks!
me: ya?! well you're the one who's old and nearest to death, so YOU need to hear the talk MORE!! (i start washing the dishes)
g-ma: if you wash those, i won't listen! i'll just go downstairs and SIT!
me: FINE! GOOD! GO! you stubborn old monkey!!
(my grandmother goes downstairs while i wash the dishes, the stove, and the counters.)

all in all, one of the best conference weekends ever.

Comments