conversations with the inanimate, the animate, and the undecided

last night i laid in bed and stared at my ceiling, wondering exactly what kind of dog my upstairs neighbors own and is there a specific type of dog bred to run back and forth and back and forth every night at midnight kind of like a rooster... except different in every conceivable way and if so why did they have to buy that breed of dog? "ceiling," i said, "remind me to buy some earplugs...
and also some apples.
and some lotion.
and a vowel... hehe... why is nobody ever around for gems like that?"
i think my ceiling was secretly judging me.

wein the chocolate biz're nearing the home stretch of that certain, special time of year where things are busy and i spend 9 to 10 hours a day with some very very tense people. responsively, i cope by grinching up (seriously. i hate christmas.) and eating a lot of fast food and gaining weight and silently hating myself and becoming incapable of focusing on anything or anyone for any measurable period of time.
there were a lot of "-ing"s in that last sentence.
so much of my brain has stopped paying attention ("what did i just say?" "uh... something about 'pain' and 'tension'?") and is instead elocuting my never ending to-do list on my skull's intercom and i've been worried my inattention and my flubs are going to leave a lasting impression on those around me, but today my office compadre (not dingdong) was trying to decide which upcoming play to buy tickets to. she read off a list of titles, paused after one and asked, "do you think it's a musical?"
i looked up from my computer, "'the miracle worker'?"
"ya. do you think it's a musical?"
"the play about helen keller?"
"ya."
"...."
"maybe i'll go see 'she loves me'."
"there you go."

all i'm saying is, nobody at work is performing at full capacity. i think something might be wrong with our synapses.

Comments

Jon said…
Maybe that's what heppened to ding dong. Maybe she just went through one Christmas too many.
Leah said…
I don't think it's the fault of Christmas Jon. Kat, maybe ya'll just don't eat enough chocolate? Just a thought.
Anonymous said…
I find that when I'm in a not so pleasant mood, I tend make just about anything anyone says sound like a really stupid comment cause it makes me feel just a little better. The rest of the time I do it for kicks and giggles.
Nama said…
i love your synapses.
Spliz said…
you can't blame it on christmas - remember the Swiss Family Robinson incident?
Anonymous said…
You should get a whistle that only dogs can hear. My coworker had a similar problem. He bought a dog whistle, the dog hated it, and there was no barking problem. It can also bother Superman.