deluge

just keepin' it really real here at ye olde candy factory.

a few weeks ago my best friend go married, and it was lovely. i've tried to blog about it maybe 7 times and each time it has quickly degenerated into a full on deluge of sap. and we can't have that because while i accept that those sticky sweet layers are there (from my head to my feet) i prefer not to put them down in writing. i will tell you that i was preoccupied the whole weekend with what i had to do next. those layers are also very much there. i was way more preoccupied than "in the moment" which isn't to say i didn't have a good time, or even that i was stressed. i wasn't. i was preoccupied. it wasn't until i was actually on the plane, in the air, headed home, waiting for my free half of a beverage that i took a deep breath and let the hugeness of the weekend hit me. that is when i looked down at my bridesmaid's bouquet and thought, "she looked so beautiful"... and burst into tears.
deluge.
of sap. with just a hint of crazy.
the flight attendant walked by, saw my bouquet and my tears and said, "oh my gosh! did you just get married??"
i looked at the two empty seats next to me, then up at him, "you think i just got married?"
"you didn't?"
"there's no groom with me."
"well, you never know."
and he gave me my half of a diet coke and an extra napkin because i'd started crying again. this time because i'd been jilted at my own nonexistent wedding.

but that's not the story i wanted to tell you.
no.
i want to tell you a little story about how i never have a normal airport shuttle experience. it's always overly complicated and the drivers are borderline crazy and sometimes i'm forced to make small talk about a baseball team i've never heard of and sometimes i get yelled at because i'm a polygamist wife a.k.a. mormon and sometimes the driver keeps referring to himself as "double 0 seven"...

this is one of those stories.

on my way to the airport to go home, it wasn't just me and mick ("like mick jager") the shuttle driver from yugoslavia. there was also a little man with a mustache.
man with mustache: hello.
me: hiya.
m w/ m: are you travelling?
me: ...[quick check to make sure i am in fact in an airport shuttle] yes. ... are you travelling?
m w/ m: why yes, yes i am. i am on my way to the airport to fly back to oregon.
me: right on. what did you do while you were out here?
m w/ m: i attended a convention on the bahai faith.
me: what is the bahai faith?
m w/ m: [i'm not going to go there, because it was weird. if you, like myself, have never heard of the bahai faith, i suggest you go here where it's much more clear.]
me: sounds awesome.
m w/ m who goes to bahai conventions: where are you travelling to?
me: i'm on my way home. to salt lake city.
bahai: what time is your flight?
me: 7:30.
bahai: my flight takes off at 7:01 and the shuttle picked me up at 4:30 and then it picked you up at 5:00 and i have not had the chance to eat and my friend mick here has so kindly agreed to let me stop and get something to eat if it is all right with you.
me: ... i guess that's okay.

so mick drove us to a jack-in-the-box where he and bahai went in and ate. they offered to buy me something, but i'd just eaten and frankly i was terrified so for the next 20 minutes i sat alone in the shuttle trying to read my book while a few 14 year old boys in the parking lot mooned me. bahai did, at one point, run out to the shuttle to give me the small beverage he'd bought for me. as he closed the shuttle door and ran back inside to finish his hamburger with mick, the song "eye of the tiger" started playing on the radio.

and that's when i realized that bahai was right, there is a god.
up in heaven.
laughing at me
.

Comments

Lincoln said…
To all who read this story...just know the in-person recollection is so incredible...it defies description. Kat's a good writer. She's an even better story teller.
Anonymous said…
i would have at least asked for one of their mint chocolate chip shakes if he was offering. soooo delicious...
Anonymous said…
Mustaches are like stingers on bees- they warn you to stay away. Not for their good, but for your own.
Yo.
Ann-Marie said…
Lincoln's right. The in-person version is highly entertaining!
Anonymous said…
yet another example of why i love you and know one day you will be famous. -the bride