a first time for everything

a story about the first time i was hit on when i was 13 and playing at the deseret gym...

on the last day of 8th grade i went with some of my friends to the deseret gym to go swimming and celebrate summer freedom. i was playing basketball when all of a sudden i was accosted by two men. this was our conversation...
creepy guy #1: hey there (said in a creepy tone, which i'd never heard before.)
me: hi. am i doing something wrong?
cg#1: on the contrary.
me: (very confused) umm... ok.
cg#1: so, do you come here a lot?
me: to the gym?
cg#1: yes
me: no
cg#1: oh.
me: are you ok?
cg#1: what's you're name?
me: kathryn peterson
cg#1: i'm creepy guy #1 (i don't remember his name. for the love, it was almost 8 years ago)
me: it's nice to meet you.
cg#1: how old are you?
me: 13
cg#1: 13?!
me: (scared) uh hu
cg#1: no way.
me: way
cg#1: i thought you were, like, 17!!
me: ok
cg#1: hey! creepy guy #2, come here!!
cg#2: what's up.
cg#1: how old do you think she is?
cg#2: like, 17?
cg#1: she's 13
cg#2: what?!
cg#1: 13.
cg#2: wow. i thought she was like, 17.
cg#1: (turning back to me as i slowly edge away) how old do you think i am?
me: i don't kno-
cg#1: come one! how old do you think i am?!
me: 17?
cg#1: haha... you're great. but really.
me: ummm... 25?
cg#1: close. i'm 32.
me: ok
cg#1: ya, so, what are you doing after you're throu-
me: i have to go now.
cg#1: what?
me: i have to go now. i have some things i need to do so i have to go now.
cg#1: wha-
me: bye.
and then i literally ran away and hid in a raquet ball court for the next half hour. i was completely confused, and scared, and creeped out. still am to this day. two factors continue to disturb me in that scenario... 1.i am not that attractive, and me as a pre teen was even worse, what with the growth spurt and the lack of makeup, a figure, a comb, and good hygeine. 2.the guy was 32, hitting on what he thought was a 17 year old. that's not cool. 32 years olds shouldn't do that. heck, i don't even think 17 year olds should hit on other 17 year olds. it's all very weird. oh! but what's worse is that when he found out i was 13, he didn't stop. ew!
so there you have it. in a way i suppose it was a rite of passage. it ushered me into a whole new era of creepiness. (do you realize that by now creepy guy #1 is 40?!?! it's just so very wrong.)

Comments