broke

due to some very sensical reasons (mostly involving me spending more than i earn), january is traditionally the most strapped for cash month of the year for me.
that's just how it is.
i've come to expect it. well, not "expect" in the kind of way where i plan ahead and avoid it, but in the nagging worrisome feeling in the back of my mind when i'm buying the perfect christmas gift even though i'm spending twice as much as i intended to but it's PERFECT and after all isn't this the season of giving kind of way.
i almost broke the tradition this year. almost. until i got roped into a 5 day business trip. i'm having my first experience with an expense account, which i gotta say i like the sound of, but the way it seems to work is that i keep track of everything i pay for and get reimbursed at the end of the trip which wouldn't be a big deal if it weren't january and i wasn't told to reserve four nights at the drake hotel and put it on my expense account.
so the tradition lives on.
now, it's no secret that i've gotten through januarys past by dating more. or to be blatantly exact, by shamelessly coercing guys i don't really like that much into taking me to dinner (the technique involving a carefully timed hair toss and the line, "so how come you never ask me out any more?") . i'm sure doing so was borderline unethical but i tend to throw my ethics out the window when i'm confronted with eating the canned goods my grandmother has insisted on sending me for the last 6 years. and besides, sometimes it backfired (re: the bowl of lettuce "date", and the abstent minded red robin dinner) so karmicly i think i came out of it okay.
but due to some very nonsensical reasons (mostly involving me putting together furniture, changing tires, and buying an electric drill) this january is different. this year i'm determined to eat those canned goods and if all else fails put to use all those tips i learned during a lesson on eating disorders which now that i think about it were supposed to be warning signs.
hu.

don't worry. i get paid on friday.

Comments

barnesanova said…
my three cents:

pull a 'better off dead' date... ask him out, get him to the door and say, you know, i think this just isn't going to work, i've reconsidered, so let's just skip everything and assume we would have gone dutch, so dinner/movie comes to $50 + tax and tip, unless you're cheap BUT i'm willing to give you the benefit of doubt, so a grand total of $57.50, split down the middle is $28.75. so just cough up a check and we'll call it even.

somehow, that seems much more ethical.
Nama said…
karmicly, huh? i likey the new word. methinks i will use it now and act all non-chalantly about it.
Jon said…
OHHHHHHHHH! The "how-come-you-never-(fill-in-the-blank)-anymore" line! You know what is so insidious about that? Those guys usually stopped asking you out because they got the hint! They kept the rules! They did what they were supposed to, broken hearts notwithstanding!

*sigh*

So how come we never hang out more?
Em said…
I get paid on Friday too! Hurray!! Wanna catch a celebratory movie?
kat said…
as long as it's at the dollar theater.
Heather said…
last night I went to Wal-Mart to buy Frootloops and I split the $3 on between my two debit cards and $1.19 in change I found in my purse covered in gum remnant.

Also, I just said yes to a date that I really don't want to go on and I am letting my sister in law set me up.

It's like welfare only with more humiliation and awkward pauses.
Leah said…
I can relate. I haven't been this broke since I was a missionary and I spent all my food and laundry money on a fantastic haircut and ate onions and potatoes and hand washed my clothes and hung them up to dry in my apartment.