nuerotic

k. so i have this thing. this pretty neurotic thing where something completely mundane happens and instead of going about my day in peace, my mind starts concocting these "sure that was boring, but what if i'd put my foot in my mouth... oh my gosh what if i'd done that? what if i'd put my foot in my mouth? i would have died!... [starting to hyperventillate] i can't believe i came so close to putting my foot in my mouth! i'm such a freak! " scenarios and i lose my grip on reality and become an emotional wreck.
an example:
a few weeks ago one of my favorite people whom (i'm trying to understand the difference between "who" nad "whom" for a writing class i'm attempting to take. it's very confusing and i'm not sure i used "whom" correctly just now) i used to work with came in to say hi. it was great. i asked about his girlfriend and his new job and waited patiently for a lull in the conversation so i could ask about his baby girl. we talked for about 10 minutes before there was lull and in trying remember what i'd wanted to ask him, my brain also brought up a very important piece of information--> his baby died. about a month before she was due. it was horrible and very very sad... and i was so glad i remembered in time to, you know, NOT bring it up.
but then i went in to complete panic mode. worse than if i'd actually said something. i was mortified. about something i had not done.
and this happens all the time. because frankly i have a lot of close calls.

you know, some might say it's because i have an over active imagination and not enough to do. like in the book "matilda". except that matilda's unused potential resulted in telekinesis, where as mine results in self induced panic attacks.

i have no conclusion for this post.

Comments

Annegirl said…
So you freak out about embarassing things you don't do? Well, I freak out about embarassing things other people do. Together, we can both freak out about all the embarassing things that never happen to us.

We should be friends.
john said…
Your use of "whom" is correct (whom is used when refering to a direct object), however you ended the sentence with a preposition. The correct phrase should have read "one of my favorite people with whom I used to work." I know it sounds corny and pretentious, but that is the correct way grammatically.

Ok, now I am going to be neurotic and embarrassed over how much I just completely nerded out with my grammar knowledge...
kat said…
but you didn't point out the spelling error in the parenthetical which i believe shows great restraint. (the day i learned about the "split infinitive" was the happiest/nerdiest day of my life)
Ben said…
"Whom" is dead. And I do the same thing (freaking out about stuff I haven't done/said). And a lot of freaking out in general. Also, you're rad.
Nama said…
i had a dream once that i freaked out.

and then i did.

the end.
Lincoln said…
Because of the frequency with which I resort to "your mom" jokes, I invariably encounter people whose mothers have actually died. I keep this information filed away to save myself the horror of saying "you're mom's fat" to someone with a deceased mother. The problem is twofold: Everyone is well aware of my penchant for "your mom" jokes. So much so that I've become predictable. Everyone knows when a "your mom" joke is going to fly out of my mouth. This doesn't help with the second problem. I catch myself to late when I realize someone's mother is dead. I'll go, "yeah...well...." and I stop, remembering the important information. Except they know what I was about to say and they still take offense.
Nama said…
p.s. this has nothing to do with this post, but i miss summer, too. and i miss using em's air mattress as a flotation device as pictured in your profile. i think that's my leg sticking up all pointed-like. hot.
Anonymous said…
Ah... the split infinitive. Such a controversial grammar rule. To split or not to split (or should I say "to not split")? I think that argument is going to be as infinitive as the phrase.

My most nerdy grammar moment? When I learned how to recognize and conquer passive voice. Geeky triumph was had on that day for sure...
Chester B. said…
Don't worry, Kat.

You can always resort to the excuse that I use when I make a major social faux paux: "I'm drunk."