part of your world

last night at family dinner, after regailing my parents and grandmother with an anecdote about watching "the little mermaid" for the first time in about 5+ years and being surprised to find all of the song lyrics and dialogue of said movie stored in my head. taking up space. sitting and waiting, for what i don't know. and also how it's my firm belief that every girl in my age range has found herself at some point in her life in a swimming pool trying to imitate ariel's dramatic hair flippy moment.



ahem.

this naturally led to a family remembrance of a dance performance circa 1991ish of "the little mermaid". after a careful auditioning process, my older sister carolyn was given the lead. and she was adorable as ariel. she had to dye her hair bright red and prance around the stage in florescent green tights, and still she was lovely.

i was also given a role. the role of "atina", one of ariel's sisters. i was excited, i'm not going to lie to you. i had a 2 second solo, and a glow in the dark cardboard fin. in my young estimation, it was the role of a lifetime.

but talking about it last night, it hit me. after a rigorous auditioning process, i was, as a 10 year old, deemed to have enough dancing talent to qualify me for an immobile role.

that's all.

Comments

john said…
I have a sister, so, sadly, those lyrics are permanently locked in my head as well.

That's ok. I know deep down in her subconscious she can reenact the whole Battle of Hoth scene from The Empire Strikes Back...
Ann-Marie said…
i LOVE little mermaid!
meagan said…
yeah.i tried that hair move once. i've since had to settle for the "george washington look."

and ballet? the 2.5 seconds i took it landed me a spot as the wicked witch in sleeping beauty. it wasn't an immobile role, role my only line was to "laugh evilly while creeping away." only it was a ballet, so i couldn't make any noise. i looked like i was having convulsions.

that's all.
Leah said…
I had the soundtrack on cassette... come to think of it, I just might still have it somewhere...