daylight savings

i've been trying with great determination to become what the great poets have termed "a morning person".
every fiber of my being rebels against the notion, but last friday my willpower won. it actually won. i woke up and went to a 6 am step aerobics class.
my willpower has never won before so naturally i assumed once i'd beaten my id into submission, it would wither away much in the style of the wicked witch of the west (i'm melting! MELTING! ooOOooohhh what a world what a world! etc) and i would forever thereafter be a morning person.
hail, my willpower, the wicked witch is dead.

but no.
turns out when you get up at 5am, you get tired about 1-ish, and then your head throbs all evening, and then you go to a birthday dance party and only last for about an hour and consider yourself extremely tolerant for not pushing the guy playing the guitar off the balcony (mercy killing).

and then you sleep in the next day until 11.

and then daylight savings happens and you realize you have no chance.

Comments

Andrew H said…
Once, I decided I was going to be a "Franklin Planner" person. $175.00, many unwritten pages, and a donated leather planner to D.I. later and I've realized I'm not a "Franklin Planner" person.
Em said…
I'm not a fan of the springing forward thing. Although, I guess I do like the fact that it's after 7pm and still light outside. But not quite enough to console me for getting up at 6am which was really 5am. Nope, not consoled.
Nama said…
yeah, that whole notion of going to bed early and rising up early doesn't and has never worked with me. 4 years of early morning seminary at 6 am did not make me into this wonderful morning person, and i fear nothing ever will. in fact, somebody mentioned this common council in my stake conference this weekend and i thought to myself, i definitely don't have a testimony of that.
Anonymous said…
As I recall when I would get up for early morning seminar it was only after going to bed at 9:00pm. This has never happened since my first day of college and therefore waking up at 8:00am is good enough to qualify as "a morning person."

I congratulate you on a good effort Kat!
Leah said…
Yeah, I'm with you Kat. I think I need a 12 step program or something for night owls, because I cannot for the life of me make the "early to bed, early to rise" thing a regular habit.
barnesanova said…
i'm working on being a 'i like peanut butter and jelly but not peanut butter and banana' person while simultaneously becoming a 'why do all people my age seem to have a fascination with REI?' person. i'm constantly amazed by the passion people who live in the city put into getting out of it to float around on rivers and hike up mountains. why not just go live in the country.
Adriane said…
SOB...
I was a morning person...
one time...
wait.
Nope, that was my HUSBAND.
right.
john said…
I am not a morning person, either. Yet, I am up before 5am every weekday morning. I have been doing this for years now and at no point have I all-of-a-sudden magically turned into the kind of guy who springs out of bed at the crack of dawn singing Zip-a-dee-doo-dah.

I once worked at a place that started at 6am. My first few days I was totally dragging. A fellow co-worker told me, "don't worry, you'll get used to it." No, no I didn't. And I don't suppose I ever will because there are two types of people in the world: you're either "not a morning person" or a serious masochist and I don't think that's something one can change.