dear friends, family, and friends of family,

i feel compelled to ask a favor of you. i don't particularly want to do it via blog because of the potential for tacky but i also don't want to call everyone up either because when i'm interrupted mid rant i'll probably say something like, "um, i believe i had the floor" and whoever i'm talking to will be like "what is this, a phone philibuster?" and i'll be like "i did not yield the floor for a question!" and then i'll get hung up on.
so, let's get started with a confession.

i hate christmas.

exhale saying that felt really good.
as a kid i'm sure i liked christmas because of the toys and the decorations and the lack of school, but there are some things from christmas past i think back to and cringe over. so in retrospect, i don't know that i was ever all that into the season.

as an adult- an adult with a job at a holiday dependent company (there used to be a very long rant here about work but i deleted it and you are welcome). and a budget. and family of old people who "don't want anything" for christmas because they're "going to die any minute now" probably while they're shoveling their sidewalk at six in the morning because they are CRAZY and won't wait for me to wake up even though i'm totally willing to do it i'm just not a morning person.
inhale
yes, as an adult- i hate christmas.

and really, when it comes down to it, there is nothing i want or need. or even want to need. nothing. except for that one seemingly unattainable thing i've wanted for ever so long. i want to not stress over christmas. i want to spend the two pre-christmas days i have after work finally cools off NOT running around like a crazy person.
which is why i'm trying something new this year.
i'm not buying any christmas presents this year. i don't want to. sorry, but i really dislike christmas shopping. plus i'm bad at it. i figured out how much i spend on christmas presents every year and this year i'm taking that money and giving half to primary children's hospital and half to best friends animal rescue and i'm calling it good. i wish i was doing it out of altruism and a wish for peace on earth. because that would be cool. but i'm not that person.
i know it.
you know it.
and i know you know it.

now- family. friends. and family of friends. -for the favor.
first of all, please don't buy me a present this year because it will make me feel like a jerk when i'm like, "wow thanks for the awesome gift you so thoughtfully and painstakingly bought for me... a donation has been made in your name to the children and animals... so... um... did is suddenly get awkward in here?"
and secondly, please cut me some slack. if i seem like a whiner or a procrastinator or a humbug, well, then my attempts at keeping things real have worked. i get that i'm being selfish about this and i should be able to rise above the stress of the season like everyone else to show my loved ones i'm thinking about them, but i'm hoping you won't really mind and you'll take the money you would have spent on me and buy yourself something great. then if you want, take a picture of it and send the picture to me with the message, "a donation has been made in your name to my awesomeness."

which you have to admit is a great idea for a christmas present.

thanks for understanding,
kat

p.s.

Comments

Jay said…
Understood. I will take the full day's photo session of you and Angel and Giles I was going to get you and put that toward many purchases of actual, non-fast, food.

"A donation has been made in your name to my empty cupboard."

THANKS KAT !!!!! It's what I always wanted. You're the greatest.

(p.s. if you want, i can send you a picture of all the food i'm going to stock in my fridge)
Anonymous said…
Don't like Christmas?

I have a rememdy for that . . .
Em said…
Oh my gosh!! Remember when I told you guys I hated Christmas for totally legitimate reasons and you and Liz practically held a freaking intervention?!

Welcome to the club.

A donation to the I-Told-You-So Association has been made in your name.

I love you.

Merry Christmas.
Anonymous said…
I admire what you are doing even if your intentions are not quite what they should be. When can we hang out again? Jack wants to see you!
Erin said…
Cool. I'm not buying presents either, and all my money is going to Primary Childrens. A donation in your name has been made to my childs care. Love ya!
Nama said…
i feel a bit left out, because i've never hated christmas. i've also never big about buying everyone in the known world gifts because i feel obligated. most people in my life (family included) never get gifts. their gift to them is always me! and i think that's good enough.

a non-donation has been made in your name to me.
Lincoln said…
hmmm. i already bought you something. and i'm not taking it back. i don't need or want anything in return. my joy comes from the pleasure of seeing your face when you open my presents. it's still distressing to me that I wasn't able to see your reaction when you got the "dead bird" from new zealand. moments like that are priceless. so when I see you this weekend, and you open my gift, consider it a gift from me to the both of us...so we may laugh our asses off together while flirting with the server at Olive Garden. Deal.

If, after that, you still don't want it, you can burn it for warmth or whatever. but i HAVE to give it to you.
Kirsten said…
here here! it's hard being in a reatailish business around x-mas.

we arn't decorating-- b/c I need to paint.

x-mas is more fun with little kids.