thankgiving 2008: adventures in censorship

in times of war, it's the custom to censor the letters from soldiers to their loved ones to assure sensitive information isn't revealed to the enemy. i don't know how long this has been in place but here's an example of a highly censored letter from 1917...

history!

now, i'm not saying i'm in a war zone.
but if i were to write the traditional, family thanksgiving dialogue, i would have to censor out a lot to avoid getting phone calls from said traditional family.
so i'm taking the safest road possible...
happy thanksgiving!

Comments

Heather said…
I'm also reading that book. I love it, but it is taking me all winter to get through.

I'm so glad that we are clever enough to meet in person at a secure dinner spot so that we can talk about the uncensored version of the stories, because I feel like we are in this war together. And the enemy is winning.
Erin said…
BOOYAH!
X attempted to order diet coke at vegetarian organic restaurant.
X ate much soy.

Regards
Erin
john said…
I read The Brothers Karamozov awhile back. I remember it taking me a long time to get through. I liked it though, but not as much as some other Dostoevsky books.

I also ridiculed my sister over Thanksgiving break for reading Twilight. She claims that as a school teacher she has to keep up with what the kids are into but I know it's just a cover-up. Personally, when it comes to cheesy vampire romance I'll just stick to this.
Nama said…
i think i might get the change over christmas to ridicule some in-laws over reading/seeing "twilight"; however, i'm not sure what the in-law protocol is...can i do that?
Lincoln said…
Censorship = bad
Detailed, unedited description of what happened at Kathryn's family Thanksgiving dinner = good.

Please and thank you.
Em said…
Man... There AIN'T noone as dope as you!
Anonymous said…
If only my english classes had adopted this idea. I never would have spent hours writing papers. Just check some boxes and I'm done.