when i was 17, my parents finally got cable. it marked a turning point in my life.
goodbye public television. hello mtv.
besides "daria" and "real world: seattle: the one where a girl gets lyme disease: and this other guy slaps her: but despite the ticks and the drama i was still convinced living in seattle would be awesome: did you know there's a market where they throw fish?: they just throw the fish!: through the air!: did you know this em?" and that one dating show with jenny mcarthy and that late night show with dr. drew that i never actually watched because, let's get real here, installing cable hadn't robbed my parents of their mental abilities.
there was also this game show where contestants tried to keep a straight face while comedians did mini stand up routines and if they managed not to laugh they won money. it was called, like, "don't you dare laugh" or "laugh it up" or "laugh, dangit!" and maybe it wasn't on mtv maybe it was on comedy central.
i have a mind like a steel trap!

this morning i was reading about the golden globe nominations and apparently "tropic thunder" got some "noms" and people were surprised yet delighted.
my mind immediately went to this random gem from a few months ago and rewatching it makes me want to sit people down in front of it and say "if this doesn't make you smile, i will pay you 20 dollars."



ah, the pips...
laugh, dangit!

Comments

Leah said…
Will you pay me $20 if I don't smile?
kat said…
do i look like i'm made of money?
Em said…
Haha! Jack Black lost his pants! I kind of love him.
Nama said…
ha! i love how jack black is the only one with actual rhythm. unfortunately, you don't owe me $20.
Kirsten said…
ahhh I remeber this moment. thanks for reminding us.
john said…
I was in Seattle not that long ago and found it to be pretty awesome.

I can also provide personal witness that they do indeed throw fish through the air at the Fish Market. Very entertaining.
Em said…
Thank you, John. Seattle IS awesome! The fish throwers are awesome. The market itself is awesome. The Space Needle is awesome. The ferry docks are awesome. The sports need some work. The troll is awesome. The hammer dude is awesome. The Puget Sound is awesome. There's more. But I'm sure you're seeing the pattern. Awesome.
matt said…
im going to seattle tomorrow. and it's "pike's place market." come on people.