sprint

i hate jogging.
i'm not good at it.
i look goofy doing it.
and it feels awkward.

and i've never experienced a runner's high.
and even when i used to go to the gym, i'd only do the cardio stuff if my sister was with me, cuz she liked to do the elipticals.

my parents have a treadmill which i've ignored for the last 5 years.
until this morning when i did something i've always wanted to do.
i raced.
i tried to figure out how fast real runners go, and run as fast as them.
i definitely lost the race. did you know that olympic runners are really fast?
but i still ran as fast as i could for five minutes.
until there was serious danger of me tripping.
and my parent's dog was completely scared of me.
and when i was done, i had enough adrenaline in my system that i didn't even get a diet coke today.

i always wanted to do that at the gym. stretch a little, get on the treadmill, stare at the stranger next to me and say, "ok. on your mark... get set... GO!" and do, like, a treadmill race.
but the 24 hour fitness people would probably consider that horse play.

Comments

Leah said…
Horse play away my dear.
Chester B. said…
How would you know who won?

By distance run?
Calories burned?
Whoever collapsed and was subsequently shot off of their treadmill first?

Inquiring minds want to know.
barnesanova said…
first of all, you get an extra stride on most any girl ( and many men ) who'd face you because of your height. so you better win.

welcome to running pain. a trainer in my quest for a marathon once told me running is 'being comfortable being uncomfortable'. i've never heard a truer phrase... except maybe that fraternity hell week is 'the most fun you'll ever have that you'll never want to have again'. hmm... sounds like babysitting that excorcist kid from your prior post.
Tiff said…
Oh that would be SO great to race until they lost and SHOT OFF THE TREADMILL.
Oh dear, I should get back to work.
Em said…
We should start gym-wide races. There can be treadmill races and benching races and health drink chugging races and see-how-fast-you-can-just-sit-there-before-you-feel-guilty-enough-to-work-out races... first, we need a sponser...
Leah said…
Your Grandma could be a good sponsor. There's so much of her, she's gotta be good for something.
Nama said…
hey, i DIDN'T know that olympic racers were fast? thanks kat for the enlightenment!

and i want in on this treadmill race. and Borders can sponser me.
Jena said…
I stopped reading after the first sentence. It's like heresy or something. Say it isn't so!!
Emily A. said…
Thanks for your comment Kat. I admire your tenacity. I won't even get on a treadmill because running on one makes me pass out. When you race at 24 hour fitness, maybe you should run at full speed, and then get off and pass out. Might be a good way to meet a man, or at least, gain some respect from the casual excersisers.
barnesanova said…
ha...

gym membership : $20/month
new exercise clothes : $60
new running sneakers : $80
week's supply of power bars : $10
knowing when you're working harder than you're capable of while attractive member of the opposite sex is observing : priceless
Emily A. said…
Thanks Kat. You are wonderful and sweet.
Kirsten said…
you lasted 5 min, I am impressed.
Erika said…
I'm with Jena on this one.