tattoo

i'm afraid i've been thinking.
about tattoos,
actually.
and the quote from that thing the guy showed me awhile ago that went something like, "think about what you liked 10 years ago. would you want that permenantly placed on your body? probably not. so chances are, 10 years from now your likes and dislikes will have changed just as much."
it was way funnier when i watched the guy say it. on that thing. he was all sarcastic and using a funny voice.
but you get the jist.

and really, couldn't that paraphrase apply to just about anything? i mean, how is a person supposed to commit to any sort of decision when they'll most definitely change in the next 10 years?
because seriously, 10 years ago i liked cheerleading and tucking my shirt into my shorts.
and brad pitt.

now, let's be clear. this isn't me whining about my commitment phobias. yada yada yada... i have dating issues... yada yada yada... i'll probably die alonobody cares!
i don't even care.
and i usually have a pretty high tolerance for my whining.

no. see, all i'm saying is even if i did come up with a plan for the future and even if i did someday get what i thought i wanted, by the time i got what i wanted, what i want will have changed.

um... yes, this is me trying to rationalize my complete lack of desire to look for another graphic design job.
graphic designer shmaphic designer.
i want to be a food critic.

Comments

Nama said…
you're good at procrastinating.
Ann-Marie said…
i thought you wanted to be a cruise director (you could be the next moe!)
i'm so confused...
Em said…
i'm looking for a new job too! or a least i would be if i wasn't so lazy and loyal to a fault.
Lincoln said…
A food critic huh? Rate the Olive Garden and Corena's. Go!
Ben said…
"i liked cheerleading and tucking my shirt into my shorts.
and brad pitt." Um, there will be no discussion of the ambiguity of this statement. None.
barnesanova said…
it only took me 3 years for my wants to change. hence separation. my friends mom says it best, life, marriage, etc., is at best a crap shoot. it's true. and i just got snake eyes.

but i do have a tattoo, and i still am glad i have it. and am considering yet another, but this one would have nothing distinctive, just a mark of sorts, to mark a point in my life.
Anonymous said…
So is it better to know what you want and go for it just to find out you no longer want it or to have no idea what you want and go for it... never knowing if you actually got it or not?
john said…
I got a tattoo when I was 18. My sister was the one who actually wanted a tattoo but she was afraid our parents would freak out. So for xmas she bought me a gift certificate to a tattoo parlour with the thought that I would get one, my parents would freak out at me, then she would wait and get one knowing that I would have already taken the initial heat. Well, I called her bluff, got a tattoo and my parents freaked out. However, she never followed through and got one of her own. Big chicken.

I don't regret getting my tattoo at all. I picked one that would define me at any age. Yes, we are all dynamic individuals constantly changing, however some things about ourselves will always be inherently true. Sure my music tastes may change, but I will always be a lover of music. You imply that Brad Pitt has fallen out of your favor. But have you stopped watching movies? You state that you fear wanting something because by the time you get it you may not want it any more. Try to broaden those specific wants into general desires of what you know to be true about yourself. Instead of saying that you want to specifically be a graphic designer or a food critic, tell yourself that you want a job that allows you to express your need to create. Then if you feel stifled in a position you can leave for a different one that reignites your creativity. Technically you never deviated from the plan, so no need for regrets or disappointment. You kept your commitment by remaining true to yourself. How's that for rationalization?
barnesanova said…
john now is officially a philosophical ninja.
Jon said…
That's it it Kat! You should get a tatoo of a movie. (Since you probably haven't stopped watching movies!)
matt said…
you should get walt disney's signature tatooed on your forehead.
or a full body recreation of the original minnie mouse character.
they could put in nifty fake mouse ears on your head, and tail and everything!
Anonymous said…
if kat did that i would totally tatoo a chess board on my shell.

p.s. this is papamudd the turtle, not the alias...

>===[O,O]===<