dvd

i bought a new dvd/vcr at walmart last night because it was on sale (i think) and in a big pile.
it was as though i had no will of my own.
after i finished setting it up, i had a mini marathon involving the only one of my dvd sets which hasn't been borrowed (seriously) ...
"gilmore girls".
season 4.
which i love. here's a brief cross section of the pop-culture/not-at-all-pop-culture references included in said dvd set:

"alive"
"annie sullivan"
"brown bunny"
blake edwards
caiphas
"the carringtons"
"daria"
"doogie"
"dorf"
farrah on letterman
"grey gardens"
henry box brown
iran in '79
jack lalanne
keith richards at altamont
"kids in the hall"
kofi annan
"mommie dearest"
"national velvet"
pat summerall
"persis khambatta"
the strand
ted knight
tony robbins
"what's your damage, heather?"
"witches of eastwick"

when it comes to "gilmore girls" i average about 65% knowledge (80% when you include contextual understanding) which i feel pretty good about.
and people say television turns your brain to mush.

i still have no idea what "the strand" is. look out google, here i come!

Comments

john said…
I have never seen even a part of a Gilmore Girls episode (can I borrow your DVD since no one else has? ;-), but somehow I still managed to know what all but one of those things on the list were. I don't know if I should be proud of that.

btw, I don't know which "The Strand" the GG were refering to, but that was the name of the Sex Pistols before Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious joined up. Yes, I know. I am the king geek of trivia.
Ann-Marie said…
i have your gilmore girls season 5 dvds. i/my friend have been done for a while, i just keep forgetting to give them to you! oops!
Nama said…
14 out of 26. not bad, not bad. i'm particularly proud of knowing keith richards at altamont, farrah on letterman, and tony robbins.
meagan said…
Thanks to an intense summer education program of 80s pop culture, I finally made it through an entire episode of Gilmore Girls without having to consult my "Gilmorisms Guide".

It was the happiest day of my life (: