the thing is... it is a big deal

(a.k.a. the day that broke me)
(a.k.a. yesterday)

three facts which might prove pertinent...
#1 i'm a graphic design major and i graduate in april.
#2 my bosses asked me to design some labels for the new store they're opening in the mall.
#3 i don't know anything about graphic design.

i down play. i make myself down play. i only get stressed or frustrated as a last resort. this is why i feel i can tell people that i'm a rational human being. so, yesterday when i ran some labels to my boss in the mall and locked my keys in the car for the first time in my life, my immediate reaction was:
"it's not a big deal. just go to the information desk and get a security guard to open it."

it was 8:30 in the morning and obviously the information desk wasn't open.
"it's not a big deal. the information desk will be open by the time you're done here."

my boss looked at the labels i'd made, loved them, and wanted more. our conversation took all of 10 minutes.
"it's not a big deal. just call carolyn and have her pick you up."

my boss told me to go do the rest of the tags right then and bring them to her afterwards.
"it's not a big deal. drop carolyn off at work and borrow her car."

some back story which may prove pertinent...
#1 i only get a certain amount of pages i can print off in the design lab at school.
#2 i used all of those pages up.
#3 when i went to kinkos the night before to print the rest of the pages, they couldn't find the files.
#4 oh! and none of their computers worked.

i went on campus to see if my files were on the computer i'd used the night before. there was a class in the lab.
"it's not a big deal. use the other lab and re-do them."

there was a class in the other lab.
"it's not a big deal. find another kinkos."

not a single kinkos computer in the provo/orem valley works.
"it's not a big deal. go back to the factory, finish your shift, and figure it out later."

after work, em and liz picked me up and we ate lunch at the mall (yay!). then a nice, fatherly security guard broke into my car. things were starting to look up.

i went back to campus, found my computer, found my files, and resaved them. things were going very well. too well.

i went to kinkos and printed out my pages. they didn't look right at all. oh! and their computer was still broken.
"it's not a big deal. wink at the kinkos boy until he lets you use their behind-the-desk computer."

i did.

some adobe illustrator facts which have proved pertinent...
#1 i used illustrator 10
#2 kinkos uses illustrator 9
#3 the only difference between the two seems to be that their program was missing one font.
#4 it was the very font i used.

i couldn't re-do everything because there was no working computer. and because i'd already given my boss half of the labels.
"it's not a big deal. just call your mom and whine about it."

that went very well.

i went back to campus and tried to see if they would let me pay to print out some more pages. they didn't.
"it's not a big deal. just try and bribe the lab attendant."

i did. i really did. she was unmoving.
and i think i've gone mad.

but it's not a big deal.