dr. pepper

i hate that face people make when they think i'm being offputting because i'm getting really excited about something they've never heard of.
some of you are probably making it right now.
people give me that face a lot when i start talking about how much i love that one dr. pepper commercial with the guy who goes to yoga class with his girlfriend, and buys her tampons, but when she tries to take a sip of his soda, he runs out the door and into the night. and meatloaf's song "i would do anything for love" is playing in the background.
and i love it!
for months i've loved that commercial. my roomates and i would refuse to channel surf during commercial breaks because we didn't want to miss it.
it finally answers the "won't do what?" question that i've shouted at my radio for the past decade or so.
"you'll do anything for love, but you won't do that?... won't do what?... won't do what??? you're killing me meatloaf! you're killing me with this overly dramatic, nonsensically instrumental, freak hit of yours! gaaaa!!!"
and finally dr. pepper has answered the question for me. it's put my mind at rest. meatloaf will do anything for love, except share his caffeinated, prune flavored soda.
that's all i needed to know.

Comments

barnesanova said…
I went to school with Meatloaf's daughter when I was young. She had no answers for me. Of course, what do you expect from a girl whose father is nicknamed after meat mixed with bread and egg, with an occasional onion, pepper, or helping of oatmeal for thickness?
kat said…
if his own daughter doesn't know what he's singing about, there's really no hope for the rest of us.
talkingdonkey said…
It took two days but I finally finished my 2 liter of DP. Mmmmmm DP.
Jay said…
Oddly enough, that song was Meatloaf's only number one hit (at least that's what I've heard and never really researched it) in the many decades that he's been making music. I think it is as Trinity said to Neo, 'It is the question that drives us...'. And apparently, it was the question that drove Meatloaf to a number 1 hit and us to ask for years, '...What wouldn't YOU do for love?'
Em said…
Just don't touch my Coke.
Erika said…
I like meat loaf. The food. It's really kind of yummy. The end.
Nama said…
i always wondered what he saw in his rear view mirror that was closer than it appeared...and i think of this EVERYTIME i read the rear view mirror...DANG YOU MEAT LOAF AND YOUR...LOAFINESS!
Heather said…
I saw the video to that song once and hoped that it would answer the same question. But then it was very odd and semi-sexy and Meatloaf was trying to be some sort of Fabio figure with billowing hair and whatnot and in the end I was left with only MORE QUESTIONS.

I like the Diet Coke commercial with everyone rollerskating. It's like they stole my diary and knew exactly how to lure me in.
Jena said…
I have the same problem with the song that goes "anywhere you go, I'll follow you down. Follow you down but not that far" WHAT?! What does that mean?! Why would you lower yourself? Why are you with some one with such low standards?! I DON'T UNDERSTAND!

But then How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days demonstrated clearly that Ben would follow Andie to the bridge but not to Washington D.C. So that's it. We are not to follow one down from New York to D.C.
Erika said…
Not kidding, we discussed Dr. Pepper as a family the other day and determined that he has received and honorary doctorate degree for invending Dr. Pepper. Well, it WAS Mr. Pepper until the doctorate part. And it's a Ph.D.
Tiff said…
Hey Jena - I had the same thoughts. :)