good form must never suffer from neglect

not all chick flicks are bad movies.
not all bad movies are chick flicks.
not all chicks will like "ella enchanted" and "bed of roses" just because they're chicks and chicks love stuff like that.

that soapbox stated... the bestest, chickiest, chick flick EVER is "the slipper and the rose".
the abundance of powdered wigs and the somewhat effeminate prince charming (richard chamberlain) might scare the men- the same way "pride and prejudice" and "steel magnolias" does- but the chickies find it delightful. and once you take the senile queen mother and the song "protocoligorically correct" into account it blows all other cinderella based movies away (not to belittle disney, or rogers and hammerstein, or even "if the shoe fits" starring rob lowe and jennifer grey (post "dirty dancing", pre nose job) who plays a struggling shoe designer with magical shoes that transform her into a super model, although as far as i could tell she just had slicked back hair).

Comments

Erika said…
Jennifer Grey. That's sad that I didn't even have to look that up. I just knew.
Nama said…
Kate Bekinsale had a MAJOR nose job too. Watch "Much Ado". Totally doesn't even look like her now.
kat said…
thanks erika. you got my back.

i don't think kate beckinsale had a nose job and i couldn't find anything online about it.
she's 12 years older and 20 pounds lighter than she was in "much ado" which i think accounts for the change in look.
Jon said…
Sorry, Kat, I just can't agree with you on the Slipper and the the Rose.

While I agree that the senile queen mother is hilarious, as is the courtier with the snifter in his scepter, and while I like the scene in the crypt, and while I admit that the buxom ball gowns are . . . well . . . diverting, I still think the plot and dialogue are flat and contrived.

That said, I don't have an alternative. However, I did watch most of Ever After on TV the other day and it wasn't too bad, despite being a chick flick and despite my inherent antipathy for Drew Barrymore. I guess I have to concede that she's a pretty good actress. She just has a weird looking face. And she bugs me.

I'm done.
Jay said…
I almost watched 'Bed of Roses' because of a crush, but I abstained.

I saw 'Steel Magnolias' in the theaters because my mom and her sisters wanted to see it. . .I also remember seeing National Lampoon's European Vacation with this same crowd. I remember not understanding what was going on in either of them, they were both just a reason to go to the movies and eat popcorn.
Kirsten said…
I feel like an outsider.
Leah said…
so, i've never seen the... what? slipper and the rose? no, i definitely haven't seen it. i also don't think dear kate has had a nose job and i was terribly disturbed by "bed of roses" when my sister in law made me watch it over thanksgiving break 5 years ago.
Anonymous said…
mmm, kate beckinsale
Jay said…
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Kate Beckinsale was awesome in Underworld.
Adriane said…
I LOVE The Slipper and the Rose! Love. Hi. I have never commented on your blog, Kat, but I love it, and this one needed to be commented on. Jon--do you feel like a spider now? And how could you get better than "protocoligorically correct"?
Anonymous said…
only you and maggie will spend the entire drive from provo to salt lake singing "And here lies good king phinneus ... he reigned for half an hour ... he got so soused when they crowned him ... he fell from the castle tooowwwer," with me. And that's why I like you. Also maggie.
Anonymous said…
Also, Jon...
there's something wrong with saying in one paragraph you find the the slipper and the rose to be contrived, and in the next paragraph say Ever After is "not bad."
weird.
and wrong.
Jon said…
spliz . . .
I was actually trying to be polite by conceding a point, but you're right. It is inconsistent. So I take it back with a sense of relief.