sentiment

today was a sad day in my life.

today i realized that i now prefer diet coke to mountain dew.
i mean, and i knew this day would come. i've been working towards this for awhile, and i thought i wanted it, i really did.
no more sugary sodas, that was my goal.

but i can remember buying my first can of mountain dew from the high school vending machine when i was 14 years old. granted, mostly because it correlated with meeting one of my best friends and also, because my mom thinks caffeine and "the simpsons" are evil so rebelling against her has always been memorable.

i feel so petty, because it's not like i love diet coke, it's more just that i've grown accustomed to its taste.
it almost makes the day begin.
i've grown accustomed to the tune is whistles night and noon. it's joys, it's frowns, it's ups, it's downs are second nature to me now. like breathing out and breathing in.
i was serenely independent and content before we met.
surely i can always be that way again... and yet... i've grown accustomed to the trace of something in the air.
accustomed to its... taste.

sigh...

Comments

Erika said…
True. ANd have you seen any Mountain Dew with lemon? Lime? VANILLA? No. Sad to move on, but it's a good thing. Welcome to the Diet Coke lover's club.
Em said…
lead the way, kat...
barnesanova said…
ah, yellow #5. sterility in a can. industrial leaders of America, God bless.
Jena said…
You abandoned it without even giving Code Red a chance? How could you!
Leah said…
I have two words for you: kidney stones. keep on drinkin' that stuff and you're gonna end up like em!
Jay said…
Say it ain't so !!!

I drank a Diet Coke one time, it was when I first tried Wassabi in Vegas. My aunt coaxed me into trying it. I did and it felt like a worm was crawling around in my brain. So I grabbed whatever drinks were close, Diet Coke, water, I almost grabbed Iced Tea at one point too. That was the only time I can remember drinking Diet Coke.

...I don't advise anyone to try Wassabi either.
Leah said…
I LOVE wassabi. I got hooked last month when I went out for sushi with my family.
Andrew H said…
She is truly a Siren that calls to me night and day.
kat said…
hehehe... that's possibly the funniest thing you've ever said.
and also the truest.