not dead yet

back to the land of the living.
kind of.
normally i wouldn't wear a "wanted: one cute cowboy" hoodie to work.
but for the most part it's back to the land of the living.

bring it.

which reminds me*...

i enjoy reading and i mean, really who doesn't?. when people ask me, "so... what do you like to do?" reading usually makes the list, although i wouldn't say i'm well read. ok. i would. if you were a boy. and i wanted to impress you. because you looked like you're into brainy chicks. and i felt like i needed to somehow negate my hoodie. if that happened? i'd say i was well read. but i wouldn't mean it. i'm a slow reader and impatient, so it usually takes 100 pages of forcing myself to focus before i get into a book enough to enjoy it.
but then there are the books that make me love reading. a handful of incredible books that i become immediately engrossed in. and all of a sudden i choose reading over tv, or sleep, or staring at a wall. this doesn't happen often.
i have decided that "to kill a mockingbird" is one of those books.
one of the incredibles.
i could not put it down. and even when i did manage to put it down i couldn't stop thinking about it because the characters were tangible, and the story had become real. and i kept having to censor myself in conversations because i'd almost forget that my world and harper lee's world are not the same world, and people really don't care what happened to scout today.
when i was a little art student, i went to a lot of seminars and had a lot of opinionated professors and was basically flooded with a billion different ideas about what art should or shouldn't be. i've forgotten it all. it's gone. all of it. except for one statement that art should portray "what ought to be" which sounds nice, but who knows how that would all work exactly. but if you ask me, "to kill a mockingbird" is art because atticus finch represents the way people ought to be.
i'm glad i watched that episode of "gilmore girls" where they referenced boo radley, making me think to myself, "hu. i haven't read that book since i was twelve. i bet i'd like it more now than i did then."
thank you g.g's. you've yet to let me down.
thank you, also, gregory peck. wink wink.

*ok ok... my hoodie in no way reminded me of "to kill a mocking bird". i was struggling for a segue. majorly struggling.

Comments

Jay said…
YAHOO FOR SCHOOL !!! YAHOO FOR ME !!!
Leah said…
I love that book. And that movie. We watched it as little kids and would forever after reference it as the "spit on it" movie. (Quoting Dill.)
Em said…
I loved that book. I also loved almost every other book on the high school reading list. But when the other kids complained about having to read all those stupid books I looked at them right in the eye and said, "Ya! It's totally stupid how we have to read all of these stupid books! I mean... it's just stupid!" But I didn't mean it. I'm sorry Mr. Lee. I'm sorry.
kat said…
i think it's ms. lee.

i went halvesies in high school. loved half (crime & punishment, grapes of wrath, house of the spirits, their eyes were watching god, hamlet, the chosen, etc) and hated the rest (beowulf, great expectations, the crucible, ethan frome, and the like).
so you would've only had to lie to me half of the time.
Nama said…
i'm with kat. half/most i loved (hamlet, adventures of huckleberry finn, picture of dorian gray, bless me, ultima, crime & punishment, lord of the flies, heart of darkness, etc) and hated the rest (wuthering heights, the pearl, ethan frome, farewell to arms, greate expectations, ect).

and i love that book, too...makes me want to read it again! but, alas, i'm stuck with guns, germs, & steel for now...
Jon said…
Nama, you like Joseph Conrad? I thought I was the only person in the world who liked Joseph Conrad! Huh. It feels good not to be alone.
Chester B. said…
I like Apocalypse Now a lot better than Heart of Darkness...

"The horror...the horror..."

But, as far as "To Kill a Mockingbird Goes" book and film both have their strong points...

I like it when Atticus shoots the rabid dog, thus revealing his manly nature...because up until then...I was with Jem...I thought he was a queer...
Fat eSpence said…
Was that a spoiler? I never had to read Mockingbird and feel pretty strange about it. I am also a slow reader.
Leah said…
It's okay spencey-bear, we know you're slow. watch the movie.
Nama said…
"i love the smell of napalm in the morning..."

i still liked the book better, buck-o...
Chester B. said…
well, I still like the movie better...
Jay said…
Yeah, well, COMIC BOOKS and GRAPHIC NOVELS can kick all your nerdy book's trash !!!!!
john said…
I moved to a different state between my freshman and sophomore year in high school. The books required for 10th grade were the same ones I had to read in 9th grade at my old school (Huck Finn, A Separate Peace, Lord of the Flies, etc). At first I was like, "sweet, I don't have to read school books for a whole year!" But now when I look back I feel cheated that I didn't get the opportunity to read a year's worth of books I'll probably never pick up on my own. I'm trying to make it up now, slowly but surely.

Nama: I loved Guns, Germs & Steel, but alas, I am an incredible geek...
Nama said…
oh don't worry...so am i...loving, loving, LOVING, guns, germs, and steel!
Tiff said…
I want that hoodie. Where'd you get it?