odd

dear diary,

i went to olive garden last night with my second favorite person ever*. i, of course, spent 10 minutes assuring the seating hostess that she really could do her hair like mine, she just needed a lot of aquanet and a smaller curling iron. and that, no really, that's all she needed.
our waiter was odd. now, when i say that i mean that his name was "odd". and also that he acted odd. i've actually had odd as a waiter before. he's reeeally touchy about his name. he doesn't like for you to ask him about it. and when he explains that it's short for "oddysseus" (yes, with two d's) he doesn't like for you to ask him if his parents are into epic poetry. and when he says that actually his parents were bikers, he does not appreciate your snickering.
so last night i knew to smile politely, to say that everything he did was perfect, and to not question the fact that he brought six extra forks with our desserts.
which i think, all in all, worked out pretty well because when he brought us our bill he looked over his shoulder and said, "are there any managers around?... ok. good. look, i had a bunch of tables in the other room and i feel like i wasn't very attentive to you guys, and you guys seem pretty cool... so... here... i gave you some extra mints."
um... ok.
also, i found gas for $2.53 a gallon. after my ridiculously overpriced diet coke and breadsticks i swerved into the station and yelled, "now
this is where i make my money back!"

i guess my point is that it doesn't matter that i'm not in l.a. today. it doesn't matter that my business meeting got cancelled at the very last minute. and that i've been completely stressed trying to get 30 billion "victorian" labels put together. it doesn't matter.
because i have a full tank of gas, and a purse full of mints.
and a hint of indigestion.

later,
kat

*second only to the inventor of excedrin.

Comments

barnesanova said…
this post *.

if my name was 'odd', i'd certainly play that up. i'd tell stories about how i was born with 7 toes too few, a streak of black hair nestled on the middle of the right hemisphere of my skull (surrounded by platinum white hair everywhere else), and how i could spell quixotic by the time i was 3 months old, forcing my parental units to rename me odd (from the previous mundane name of seph).
barnesanova said…
* made me want to footnote something
Jay said…
I have two people in the lead for favorite: Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird. If you don't know who these guys are, then you need to do a google search and read up on how they came into the stream of consciousness that is my brain.
Leah said…
Did you get his number?
Em said…
was his number odd?
Nama said…
kat + odd = strange
Chester B. said…
I read about an award winning organic chemist named Od Hassel. His excuse is that he's Scandinavian.
john said…
I wonder if Odd ever tries to get even...
Jon said…
If I had that kind of service, it would be hard not be at odds . . .
Tiff said…
I don't think I would have reacted quite that well. I think I would have acted more the former vs. the latter described behaivor.
Happy you're happy though.
Oh and you're great! :)
Andrew H said…
I kinda wish my middle name was "odd". It would be much easier to explain a lot of things...
Kirsten said…
you know he could have gone by "O" or something. though I suppose his parents gave him the nick name. so uh ... why were you wanting to be in LA?
Emily A. said…
Your blogs are frickin hilarious. I love your writing. Lol. I am so jealous. Gas costs me 2.85 a gallon.