quarters

a lot of people look to my blog to keep them abreast of today's "hot topics".
because i never shy away from controversy.
no way. i look controversy straight in the eye and i say, "you don't scare me, bucko."
that's right.

i hate that there are state quarters.
it's idiotic.
i was getting a diet coke from the vending machine, as i've done before and as i will do again, most likely very soon, and i grabbed all the change out of my pocket and realized that i was checking the backs of all my quarters so that i wouldn't spend a new one. because should i find a 2005 one, i'm supposed to save it and give it to my mother and grandmother who have these cardboard maps of the u.s. with a space for each state's quarter.
luckily i didn't have any new ones. only ohio and connecticut. so i was able to get my soda.
in a society that's been known to have a "beanie baby craze" why would our government introduce collectable currency?
really lame collectable currency that doesn't even light up. or speak.
and i'm dreading the day in, like, 2007 when the utah quarter comes out because then everytime i'm standing in line at walmart or mcdonalds, the person in front of me will make the cashier go through all of the quarters in the register so they can add to their treasured pile of utah quarters hoarded in their dresser drawer.
and you know the utah quarter's gonna have a beehive on it.
and bees are so not cool.
not that conneticut's tree, or georgia's peach is any better.
but i'm not grading on a curve.

all i know is that in two thousand whenever, when my mother presents me with my completed quarter map, i'm totally going to...
save it.
i'll want to go to the movies.
and pull out my map at the ticket window and take the quarters out one at a time to pay for my ticket to "spiderman 57: the geriatric arachnid strikes back" because money is meant to be spent.
but i won't. i'll save it. because that quarter map will be my mother's labor of love. and more than that it will be the result of 15 years of never being sure whether or not i'll be buying a diet coke.

Comments

barnesanova said…
i used to throw away a penny every once and a while. i think if enough people did this, it would mess up the economy over time. then it could be blamed on bushie.

small ideas, big plans. that's me.

you should ask your parents why there aren't little chocolates behind the quarters, like a united states advent calendar.
Jay said…
The U.S. quarter collecting is like the U.S. penny collecting of yesteryear. I don't think it will end there either. I'm sure someone will come up with another idea about what to collect using money. Because anyone who has taken Econ. 110 knows, the more money supply you have circulating, then the better chance there is for avoiding recession. But then again, the more unused money there is, the greater chance for inflation. Maybe therein lies the conspiracy.
Jon said…
And what will happen when Puerto Rico becomes our 51st state? And Iraq our 52nd? What will THEIR quarters look like?
barnesanova said…
i'd imagine bush's face will be on both of them
Chester B. said…
Old people need boring hobbies and cats.
Leah said…
I just envisioned Bush's face on a quarter... I'm still laughing. It should talk when you squeeze it.
Erika said…
You said abreast. That's great.
Nama said…
i just don't get why some quarters are more valuable than others...THEY'RE QUARTERS! besides, they are such greater things out there to collect: books, records, shubberies...
Leah said…
...people who dress like shrubberies...
john said…
The Colorado state quarter is just a picture of a non-descript mountain. There was even a heated debate in the papers over which mountain was actually depicted. The quarter also states "Colorful Colorado," which I guess they have to say since all of the quarters are silver. Maybe they didn’t want anyone to confuse it with Silver Peak, Nevada.

There are also Louisiana Purchase nickels floating about, but those are only one-fifth as annoying as the state quarters.
Jay said…
I like quarters. I don't care what's on them, as long as the vending maching and arcade take them, then I'm fine.
Em said…
i just don't understand because why would you collect quarters? are they scared that if they don't collect them they'll never see them again? because they're quarters. they're everywhere. it's like collecting lint.
Ben said…
You call controversy Bucko? My friend once called her softball-sized non-cancerous (thank goodness) growth Bucko. They evicted him. He wasn't paying rent. Sorry, that was just very gross.