expectations

unquestionably there are days when men are the preferable gender.

but today is not one of these days.

nope. today is one of those days where the men fall horribly short of the delightful woman type gender.
because when you chop about a foot of hair off your head, the woman gender squeals with excitement and calls you a short haired goddess while the man gender for the most part does not notice. and those of the masculine gender who do (with the exception of 2, thus far) furrow their brow and say, "what did you do to your hair?"

cut it.
i cut it.

tomorrow i'll go back to my blind and somewhat dysfunctional adoration of men and their quirks. i'll go back to what, in my estimation are very low expectations for one half of the world's population. i just need a catalyst.
maybe i'll watch "indiana jones". or something starring the ever inspirational hugh jackman.
but today i sit at my desk bewildered.

Comments

Jon said…
The reason we say that is protect ourselves. Because last time we complimneted a girl on her short hair, she told us that she really hadn't cut it, just layered it, or dyed it, or done it differently. And we felt stupid, so we tried to play it safe, and NOW look where it got us!
Nama said…
but AT LEAST you noticed that SOMETHING was different. that's the lesson to be learned here, jon.

p.s. kat + new short hair = hothothot!
barnesanova said…
when i was first dating my now-wife, i made the mistake of telling her it was 'no big deal, it looked great' after she'd gotten a hair cut that she was less than pleased with. mistake #1... as i was told by a good friend of hers. i have since learned my lesson, and only pay compliments, 'hey that looks great', 'wow, it came out so nicely', but never 'its no big deal'. bad news.

so when does the equivalent picture of your san fran hair come out? i'd expect with your newfound hair shortness you could achieve a nice drago-esque spike in high humidity! that would be awesome.

p.s., if ever you feel people are paying too little, too much, or the wrong attention altogether to your hair, just remember... you could be bald like some of us.
Em said…
my favorite was when i cut my hair short and my deaf/mute brother saw me and yelled the word, "NO!!!!!" my dad didn't even notice. another boy told me that i could be pretty if i'd grow my hair out. and then the next day on christmas morning my brother sprayed me with his new cologne and told me that now i smelled like my hair. i definitely preferred the female gender then as well because every single female i saw (with the exception of my mother) did a happy dance with a small gasp of pleasure which made me feel less like a warthog and more like a cute girl with a cute new hair cut. sometimes boy suck.

but they're great when something heavy needs to be moved.
Leah said…
Short hair rocks. And I want to see pictures and I predicted that short hair was coming back with a vengeance.
Andrew H said…
Wow, I got deleted...
Chester B. said…
Girls are always wanting to cut their hair short and guys are always wanting them to grow it out.

This is the way things are.