car trouble

a scene from wendys...

it starts with me walking into the restaurant.
cashier girl: hi.
me: hi.
cashier girl: may i take your order?
me: i'd like the #6 combo with a chili instead of fries and a diet coke.
meanwhile, the drive thru window lady is peering over at me. she comes to the counter.
drive thru window lady: you didn't come through the drive thru today!
me: ya, i know.
this is when all the people from the back come up to the counter.
another drive thru window lady: why didn't you come through the drive thru?
me: car trouble. i'm walking home from work today.
drive thru window lady: oh no!
me: eh, what can you do?
kind of awkward silence
i guess i could've walked through the drive thru.
laughter
cashier girl: here's your meal.
me: thanks. well, see ya!
and then everyone waved goodbye.

i'm not particularly sure what part of the above scene made me feel pathetic but i'm vaguely certain it has something to do with the familiarity i share with the employees of all gas stations within a 3 mile radius of my apartment.

Comments