harassed (please pronounce it the british way)

i am the most awkward person on the phone.
this has nothing to do with anything. except that i just got off the phone with one of our printers and i am the most awkward person on the phone.



my story
as i drove up to salt lake on new year's eve day for family dinner, i sang along to cake's "short skirt, long jacket".

gentley.
happily.
serenely.
to the left of me i sensed a hoverer. i glanced over to the carpool lane and indeed, the car next to me was hovering. a 15ish year old girl and a 15ish year old boy looked over at me, grinning while the adult in the driver's seat matched my speed, and then the boy held up his cell phone and took my picture.

it was awkward.

i slowed down so they would pull ahead, which they did although the children never broke eye contact, turning their heads and grinning out the back window.

it was creepy.

i got out of the passing lane and, ever the master of repression, forced myself to think of other things. however, five minutes later as i neared my exit, i looked over at the carpool lane and they were still there.

still matching my speed.
still grinning.
still holding up the camera phone.
i looked at them and asked "what?"
the boy waved.
i waved back.
the girl blew a kiss.
i stared at her with furrowed brow.
and exited i-15.


2006 set the bar pretty low.
this is all i'm saying.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like a fun game to play on the trip back to Utah. I would try it, but I doubt anyone will be going fast enough to make matching their speed worthwhile.
Annegirl said…
I don't know what's creepier, that the boy snapped your picture, the girl blew you a kiss, or the adult played along and matched your speed.

On the plus side, I'm sure you'll sound good, Kitty gone Karen in your Chrysler LeBaron. Yeah 2007. It almost rhymed. Better luck in 2008.
Nama said…
is there a kat fan club (other than the one i started) that i don't know about?

bunch of haters...
Andrew H said…
I think they thought you were Katherine McPhee!
Ben said…
I think they knew something you didn't know they knew. Maybe it was the Orange Chicken Incident.
Lincoln said…
If I saw you driving on the freeway, I would totally stalk you and take your picture. Come on...who wouldn't?
Leah said…
Shoot, I would.
Heather said…
Seriously, what was with 2006?

It was like a few of my cousins. One minute it was delighting me with its stories of life on the edge, and then the next minute it was showing up drunk at the family reunion and hitting on its own kin.

Here's hoping 2007 can get its act together.
Chester B. said…
You should've rammed them into the median.
That would've taught them...