choices

in high school there was one decision which defined you.
your morning radio show.
the morning show that you listened to as you drove to school.
so that when you sat down in first period, you could look over at the person next to you and say, "did you listen to ________ today? "
and really, as far as my waspy, teen angsty social circles reached, there were only two shows to choose from.
chunga or radio from hell.
top 40s or alternative.

personally? i was a faithful radio from hell fan. x96 was as edgey as a skinny, honor roll, cheerleader girl like me could pull off.
i've since been introduced to tupac, metallica, tim mcgraw, and even jazz.
but as far as morning shows go, if it's not monotone mockery, i want no part of it.

Comments

barnesanova said…
i listened to WPLR 99.1, and tapes of Helloween, Megadeth, Metallica, Steve Vai (although at the time with David Lee Roth), Van Halen, and other hair metal bands. I was a guitar player in the making, and licks, riffs, shredding, chops, hammer-ons, pull-offs, harmonics, palm-muting, speed-picking, and the all mighty whammy-bar ruled every hour of every day.

cheerleader eh? wouldn't have pegged you as such. heh.
Andrew H said…
The radio in my truck only worked sometimes. So I listened to one of the three tapes I owned over and over and over again and usually pretended like I listened to funny morning shows.
Jon said…
Cars come with radios?! No foolin'!
Jay said…
Barnesanova, you rocked to Helloween!!!!! You just earned 50 gabillion wickedly-awesome-pure-head-banger points. My brother and I were part of that rare, elite few who discovered European metal other than Iron Maiden. That's awesome !!!

Plus, X96 is the only radio station that I listen to. Kat, you know this.
Nama said…
ha! jon thinks he's black...
Em said…
i listened to 93.3 in hs. it was all about the hip hop and r&b.
Leah said…
I listened to 102 JAMZ in Orlando. I wasn't really into all that "white kid music."
Fat eSpence said…
Ummm, Liza Minelli?
I didn't listen to music until my senior year. My older brother thought I was weird and tried to convince me that Wilson Phillips' "Hold on" should really excite me.
Chester B. said…
I can't really talk about commercial radio right now...
Kirsten said…
I don't know any talk radio stuff. sometimes I listen to NPR though.