number 300 a.k.a. chicken pot pie

you might ask me why i'm in a good mood today.
and i might tell you it's because i get to put all my belongings which i somehow managed to cram into my little two door car (sans the box of cheerios my mom woke me up to remind me to take) into an apartment. an apartment. my apartment. courtesy of this man and his wife.
no. more. commuting.
and no more exorbitant weekly gas expenditures. (there are way too many big words in that sentence)

to show my gratitude to my parents for their patience with my boxes lining their hallways for the last month, i decided to make sunday dinner. chicken pot pie.
my own recipe.
which i invented.
while i was making it.
on sunday.
now that i look back at it, i think my main weakness with cooking is that i approach it the same way i did when i was ten... if it looks good, throw it in. this is the technique that led to the banana/tang/peanut butter smoothie of '91.

and the black bean surprise of '98.

i will say this about the chicken pot pie of '05....
1. i liked it,
2. it may or may not have made my dad sick to his stomach,
and 3. last night for an "apartment warming" present, my mom gave me a cookbook.

Comments

Anonymous said…
bathroom humor ahead (universal equalizer):

i've had black beans 3 times in two days. i call it the mexicano challenge. my co-worker tells me it just means that i'm a challenge to sit next to.

that's my black bean surprise!
barnesanova said…
i'd eat your chicken pot pie, if there was tang in it. that sounds like a delight.

as for black bean surprise... i picture this being something like an ice cream puff, that you cut into, and SURPRISE, black beans and hot fudge. mmmmmmmm.
Jay said…
Congrats on the move BACK to Provoland.

I think Provo is a larger scale version of the Villa. . .it always pull you back in and you always see people who know every now and then.

P.S. I dare you to try a non-mormon style casserole or enchiladas. I double dog dare you!!
Emily A. said…
Lol. AWESOME. I had a friend who took the same approach to cooking that you do, and I must say, she comes up with the most tasteful and odd dishes I've ever eaten. Keep workin at it! Im sure you are a natural!
Nama said…
yeay! new kat home!! now she'll stop mooching off of our place...maybe...but i doubt it, as some song or something or other says, "i've grown accustomed to her face..."
Leah said…
I remember your shepherd's pie made with a lot of ketchup. that was pretty good. i'm sure your pot pie turned out alright.
Em said…
hurray for kat having her own place of goodness and delight! and isn't your new place technically orem? or no? huh. will you still come over almost every day? because i liked that.
Fat eSpence said…
I made a tuna casserole thing the other day. Disgusting, but I ate it anyway. All of it. Even the leftover amounts.
Kirsten said…
u know I think you are one case where things may taste better if you make it your self. it's usually the other way around. ;)
Chester B. said…
Have you seen the Swedish Chef bit where he throws a chicken in the basket?

For some reason this imagery came to mind...

:)
Ann-Marie said…
yeah for moving into a new apartment! lets play soon.
also, when you cooked fondue for me it was delicious! just thought you should know.