jabber

when i was six years old, i broke my nose. and i when i say i broke my nose, i mean that my sister and i were playing superwoman on our swingset in the backyard and i got swung too high. and when i say that i was swung too high, i mean that my sister laughed diabolically as she swung me higher and higher until i slipped off the swing and fell on my face. but don't feel bad for me because i gave as good as i got. and when i say i gave as good as i got i mean that i have a very distinct memory of rushing at her one time and biting her. hard. awkward.
now then... because i have a broken nose, i have a rotten sense of smell. i didn't always know this. until i was 19 years old, i thought i had a normal sense of smell. and when i say i thought i had a normal sense of smell, i mean that i never really had cause to think about it. and when i say i never really had a cause to think about it, i mean that i just assumed everyone else was exaggerating or being over dramatic when they talked about how something smelled. until one day when my best friend and i were cooking. and when i say cooking i mean trying to make chicken alfredo pizza... with thyme in the crust. and apparently thyme smells delicious as my friend pointed out and i just rolled my eyes and said it doesn't smell like anything and you know it. and that turned into a spice smelling extravaganza and that's when i realized the awful, awful truth.
i'm missing one of the essential five senses. not that my other 4 are so sharp either.
in a world where smells are everywere, i wander cluelessly. and when i say cluelessly, i mean that several times a day i have to b.s. my way through a smell related situation. and when i say b.s. i mean that i sniff whatever the person wants me to, and then mimic their facial expression because i have no idea whether or not the smelly thing was good smelly or bad smelly, but i figure they probably just wanted affirmation and don't so much care that i don't know what i'm talking about.
i don't like telling people about my inability to smell. and when i say that i meant that it's never a succinct conversation because i go on tangents and they ask the same follow up questions... yes, i can taste food except for tea. yes, i can smell some things. and when i say that i mean that the human brain is amazing because it remembers smells. a lot of times i won't be able to identify a smell, and then people say what it is and all of a sudden i can smell the smell a lot better because my brain remembers what it smells like. it's like when you smell something and it triggers a memory... except in reverse.
apparently, something stinks in the office closet. why'd they have to tell me? jerks. i didn't smell it until they said something.

Comments

Em said…
blind people have braille and special trained dogs. deaf people have sign language and special trained dogs. you get labeled scented candles. now you just need a special dog.
barnesanova said…
i smelled this post coming a mile away.
Jay said…
Four out of Five is still an 80%. You are passing.
Leah said…
so, even though i've totally known that for... well forEVER, i know that i've been a jerk and asked you to smell things before. because i forget. sorry 'bout that.
Andrew H said…
I'm color blind. And dogs are color blind. So what do I do Em?
Jimmy said…
I just met a girl who has absolutely no sense of smell. I used to complain that I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet.

Think about it...
Jay said…
Just cause you can afford shoes doesn't mean you can flaunt it in front of people who have none. . .like me. Now I feel worthless cause I have no shoes. THANKS A LOT JIMMY !!!!!
kat said…
wait, the girl didn't have any feet?
so why was she complaining about not having shoes?
Fat eSpence said…
I just wish I couldn't smell when YOU'RE around.
Nama said…
my friend made her younger sister squeeze mustard up her nose and now she can't smell either.

kat, just always remember, you are never alone...well, except for when you're alone...like now, in the office, with the smell.
Ben said…
That stinks. Sorry (I had to). Re: man with no feet-- Jack Handey would say to take his shoes. I mean, he wasn't using them anyway.
Kirsten said…
apparently my car has some rubbery kind of smell to it. I never noticed it, my family never noticed it, but then someone did. and now I have to have an air freshner in my car at all times. weird.
Heather said…
I have super smell.

I think you are lucky. Do you know how smelly boys are?
Chester B. said…
I've heard that a pregnant woman's sense of smell is heightened.

Maybe that's all you need to push you to normality.

I mean...to push your sense of smell to normality.

Um...just disregard this whole comment.
Em said…
I don't know what you should do Howlett. At least you can have a dog. Dog's don't fit here in the Shire.
Andrew H said…
Kat's don't fit too well in the Shire either!
kat said…
your mom doesn't fit too well in the grand canyon.
Anonymous said…
I don't remember you discovering your lack of smelling ability while we made pizza. Though a spice smelling contest does sound like me... Huh... I'll take your sense of smell if you'll take my senility. Deal? Awesome.