what happened to miss independent?

she's right here... she's right here.
i spent all day yesterday finding, buying, and building A FUTON.
it took me all day because i'm very much not good at lifting, loading, reading directions, screwdrivering, and all that jazz.
i'd like to give a shout out to walmart's ryan and tyler for trying to shove a box full of futon into my two door car. and i'd also like to explain to 17 year old ryan and married tyler that me asking them when they would be at my apartment to unload, was not a proposition but a joke. but if it hadn't been a joke, tyler, you showed a lot of integrity and ryan, um... thanks?
and while i'm dishing out gratitude, thanks to random glasses man for helping me balance the box-o-futon on my cart.
and thanks to random buying shampoo girl for helping me steer my cart.
and thanks to the family in the mini van for not laughing at me when i tried to go down the ramp and the cart tipped over and the b-o-f rolled out in front of them.
and thanks to the employees of the wendy's drive thru who were unbelievably fast at getting me my #5 combo meal when i realized at 6pm that i hadn't eaten all day and that i should probably take a break from the finding, buying, and building of the futon because i kept on catching myself thinking, "why am i doing this? why am i relying on the kindness of strangers at walmart? i didn't move to a different state, why aren't there people finding, buying, and building a futon for me?"
you know, and it's not that i don't have a fantastically thoughtful little support group. it's just that the older i get, the more responsible i'm supposed to be and the more conditional favors start to feel. especially the heavy lifting favors because it seems like there's nothing but ryan's and tyler's out there.
but now is not the time to deal with my trust issues.
now is the time for me to lay down on my beautifully completed futon (except for the last bolt which disappeared (i'm totally going to start using the phrase, "one bolt short of a futon")) and bask in the facts that 1. i did something i didn't think i'd be able to do and 2. i live in a city where strangers aren't afraid to offer help.

Comments

Andrew H said…
If I hadn't been in Las Vegas, enjoying a Double Double, hold the tomatoes, add onions, I would have TOTALLY helped you pick out/balance/carry/load/carry/assemble/and look for the last bolt. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.
Em said…
hurray for having a bed that won't deflate!
Jon said…
Not that Futons aren't great or anything, but why were you getting one in the first place?
Chester B. said…
couch by day...bed by night!

What's not to love?
Fat eSpence said…
Having a new insider idiom makes it all worth it.
Nama said…
shoot, that futon's gonna be out to get you, now...

i forsee suffering, pain, and something breaking...
Lincoln said…
A) I can vouch for her struggles. I called while she was putting said futon together and was puzzled by her frustrated, out of breath ramblings. B) I sleep on a futon...with a sleeping bag. I don't even have blankets.
Cracka Chips said…
hey miss independant i have a question. could you use an electric drill?
Erika said…
I hope to one day be "random shampoo buying girl".
Anonymous said…
this is why i love this girl