army

i got a present the other day.
a bracelet.
from ralph.
the old man at the park.

who was pretty nice compared to all the moms at the park who never talk to me because they decide that i'm either the spazziest, unmarried mother they've ever seen or the spazziest, unmarried, older than them nanny. it's a relief when the dads or grandpas are with the kids because they're just as clueless as me. and they talk to me. and give me bracelets. and don't raise their eyebrows when i yell, "way to slide, j-dawg!"

so, ya, ralph was completely nice, but being an old grandpa man, he was also loud and boring and talking to me about his entire family. and i did the polite smile and nod thing while i sat on the bench and watched "billy madison" in my head. and i was just to the part where billy's in the bathtub debating hair care products when i heard ralph say, "oh! here's my nephew! he just got back from iraq." and i politely smiled and nodded and turned around to see

my dreams come true. well done, u.s. army. well done.

i stood there, mouth agape, much in the style of jane and michael banks seeing mary poppins slide up their railing. ("kathryn, we are not a codfish").

he was possibly the most beautiful man i've ever seen in real life. and the only thing i could think to say was, "you just got back from iraq? well, take off your shirt and tell me about it." but somehow that didn't seem right. insteasd i just watched him run off into the distance.

thank you ralph, for the bracelet, but next time, would you give me your nephew?

Comments

Jon said…
I've learned, in my years of experience, that, in the end, it pays to listen to boring old people.
Kimberly said…
Why didn't you get Ralph's number while you had the chance?! He could have hooked you up with the man of your dreams. Well, at least you know that the man of your dreams exists out there somewhere. Mine is just that, a man in my dreams.
Leah said…
I'm still laughing. Keep going to that park. You never know.
Em said…
i think conditioner is better.
Fat eSpence said…
Yes, come to Iraq. Miraq is youraq.
Jay said…
No raq will ever be our-raq.
Cracka Chips said…
I hope no one is home next door. Because I am laughing out loud in a silent apartment.
I'm not sure if the story is better written or told. Either way the image of you jaws agape is a beautiful thing.

(Cod fish...)
Fred said…
Since I am an old man, I'll remember to do as you've instructed.
Kirsten said…
... and just like that they are gone. what is it about those "man of your dreams" men you meet?? I met mine at borders once.... and that was the end.
Jon said…
I met the woman of my dreams playing a game while on a date with another girl.
Tiff said…
Hmmm that can get a bit complicated.