NORM!!

in trying to take advantage of my not-workingness, i went to a matinee. at a time when most people were participating in "the grind", i was enjoying an afternoon of cinema.
i was the only person in the theater, which made me feel self conscious until i remembered that celebrities buy out entire theaters so they can see a movie. and they also build really swanky home theaters with recliners and pinball machines.
so then i felt all pampered and famous and i wondered where my personal assistant had gone with my popcorn.

(to jump from the topic, but not from the afternoon... when i went to buy my ticket i was all excited because it cost $4.75 and i'd get a quarter back and have enough change to buy a mountain dew and then the ticket lady was like, "would you like to donate your quarter to primary children's hospital?"
of course i didn't think my caffeine fix was more important than sick children.
of course i didn't begrudge the hospital my quarter.
of course i wasn't so self involved that i couldn't give a teeny, tiny coin to those who couldn't come to an early afternoon movie.
but who was this ticket lady to take away my dew and force a social consience on me out of the blue? so of course i dropped my hands to my side and looked down and said, "yes." in the same tone i give to my mom when she tells me to go to the dentist. and i could hear the ticket lady mocking me the minute i walked away)
(i'm jumping back to the original topic. thanks for joining me on my tangent.)

everybody craves celebrity in one form or another.
i always wanted to be the "norm!!" type of celebrity where everyone in my neighborhood, or ward, or local bar knows my name.
and they're always glad i came.
where people know people are all the same.

yep, i wanna go where everybody knows my name.

Comments

Leah said…
Then it's back to the Villa for you. Ha ha! One time, my boyfriend called me and told me he'd called in sick so he could hang out with me and I did the same and we went to a movie in the middle of the day. It was cool.
Jimmy said…
Don't be silly, Kelly. You're already there!
barnesanova said…
i had my five minutes of fame as a famous rock and roll guitar player. There were no bowls of M&Ms with all the green ones removed, there was no tour bus (it was actually a crappy 'ol van filled with pot smoke), and there was little, if any, luxury.

my advice, you want fame/luxury now a days, just get a drum machine and make some rehashed rap album covering 80s brit rock songs over run-DMC beats. BANG! let the bling start rollin. jeesh, a 5'10 white chick rappin wham songs to my adidas??? ... there's a platinum album!
Jay said…
One time, I had the theater all to myself. I saw Hellboy and I sat wherever I wanted. Granted it was on a sunday and it was where I knew nobody would go. But it made me feel the same way.
Cracka Chips said…
I want to be Joan Cusak kind of famous. I want to be in movies and have people say "Oh yea she was in the last 12 movies I saw. What was here name again?"
Ann-Marie said…
I know your name!! Isn't that enough?
Tiff said…
do do do da do do....
I remember watching that show growing up. Didn't always understand, but did like the song. Thanks for helping me relive the memories.
Erika said…
Kat, you ARE a celebrity. The real celebrities donate to charities all the time so that people think they care. You go girl.
(And I want to work at Primary Children's one day so think of it as going toward my salary and when I work there I will buy you a Mountain Dew)
Anonymous said…
I don't get it. I thought you were always a celebrity.
Heather said…
I went and saw "A Perfect Storm" once in the middle of the day on a double date. We were the only people in the theatre and when we realized how bad the movie was, and that there was no saving it, my date stood up and shouted, "IT'S TOO TERRIBLE! TURN IT OFF!"

and they did.

Still one of my proudest moments.
Em said…
Ew, I saw "A Perfect Storm" in the theater. It really was terrible. I don't think Kat should be in a movie like that. Too many fish.